Engineers Week March 2024
Engineers Week is a week-long programme of nationwide events with the aim of celebrating the world of engineering in Ireland, commencing on March 2024. The week aims to create a positive awareness and spark enthusiasm about the engineering profession to people of all ages, especially students and their teachers and parents.
Children who have a positive STEM experience at a young age are more likely to consider STEM related careers. School workshops give both girls and boys an equal opportunity to be exposed to this educational advantage.
Engineers Week provides a unique opportunity for primary students to learn about engineering and together with Bricks 4 Kidz, your school can build the engineers of tomorrow. LEGO® based education programmes have proven to be a very effective method of introducing engineering concepts to school age children and a Bricks 4 Kidz engineering workshop provides children of all ages with a fun and educational way to develop their understanding of engineering principles.
We are looking forward to visiting schools across North County Dublin to spark student’s interest in the wonderful world of Engineering. Our workshops are suitable for Junior infants right up to 6th Class.
Bricks 4 Kidz proprietary model builds, which have been designed by engineers, are accompanied by lesson plans which explain the concept of engineering to the children. These age appropriate workshops will enable your pupils to estimate, observe, predict, measure and record their findings during the model construction. All of our builds have different levels of difficulty and the engineering terminology we use are age appropriate.
The workshop will consist of the following:
- Presentation – this introduces the children to what they will be learning about for the duration of the workshop
- Instructions – this improves the children’s literacy skills and develops their numeracy skills as they estimate, measure and count
- LEGO® Technic Kit – engineers and architects have designed these kits. This gives the children to build with friction pins, axle pins, axle joiners and so much more. The builds will be motorised and they will also have the opportunity to play with before the workshop ends
- A Take Home Sheet – children can impress their parents with what they have learned.
Some of our workshops:
- Dragster – the children will build a motorised dragster where they learn about accelerate, aerodynamic, drag and action
- Train – the children will build a motorised train where they will learn about locomotive, freight, couplers and maglev
- Catapult – the children will build a catapult while learning about kinetic energy, torsion, range and trajectory
- Dump Truck – the children will build a motorised dump truck where they will learn about mass, force and work